Know Who You Are Voting For? What Do They Stand For?
307NetRadio hosted Candidate Forums
We feature those that have more candidates than seats available.
These are Buffalo City Council, Rural Healthcare District Board, JCSD1 School District Board and Cemetery District Board.
The forums were recorded and you can listen here and get informed.
Some answers may surprise you.
Candidates were asked the same question and given the same time to answer. There was a period for additional comment or rebuttal followed by questions from the audience. Candidates did not know the questions ahead of time.
LISTEN FOR YOURSELF. MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND.
For more Candidate Information click here https://307netradio.com/city-and-special-use-districts-election-2022/
Buffalo City Council
4 candidates are running for 2 seats as a result of the write-in vote. They will join John Camino and Scott Madsen on City Council.
The candidates are Myra Camino, David Iverson, Mike Madden, Jody Sauers.
Jody Sauers was out of town.
So we welcomed Myra Camino, David Iverson and Mike Madden.
1. What previous qualifications or experience do you have that would benefit this position? 2:25
2. You did not file for office during the filing period. What made you stand as a write-in? 6:00
3. What is your opinion regarding growth within the City? 9:15
4. Many of the City’s strategic plans are becoming dated and may need to be revise. How would you work to make sure plans are turned into effective action and do not gather dust on a shelf? 13:45
5. Our county population is predominantly over the age of 55, with a quarter over 65. How should this impact the services City of Buffalo focuses on? 18:35
6. Is the aging population a concern? How do we attract young people to stay or return to Buffalo? 22:55
7. How would you address the shortage of housing, especially workforce housing, within the City? 27:50
8. In what areas would you seek greater cooperative efforts with the County and County Commissioners? 32.05
9. Are there specific actions or proposals by the current City Council with which you either agree or disagree? 37:40
Rebuttals or Specific Additional Comment 42:00
Closing Statements 45:00
- Ideas for attracting manufacturing to create jobs and keep young people in Buffalo 49:00
- Airbnb's & Short Term Rentals in Buffalo 1:01:35
Rural Healthcare District Board
There are 6 candidates running for 3 seats. They will join Marilyn Connolly and Marie Miller on the Board.
The candidates are Britni Camino, Tom (Tiddle) Camino, Mark Haines (incumbent), Jim Hicks (incumbent), Adam Michelena and Mark Schueler.
Tiddle Camino, Mark Haines and Jim Hicks did not reply to the invitation to participate in this forum.
We welcomed Britni Camino, Adam Michelena and Mark Schueler.
1. What previous qualifications or experience do you have that would benefit this position? 1:25
2. Do you have a specific reason for running at this time? 6:10
3. The Board is developing plans for a new designated ambulance barn at the Johnson County Fire location at the North Bypass in Buffalo. What is your opinion on that proposal? 10:45
4. The greatest challenge to EMS nationwide is the lack of people willing to become certified and serve as EMTs. What would you do to encourage local people to serve in Johnson County? 16:25
5. What is your opinion on the value of paramedics for the Kaycee and Buffalo ambulance services? 27:45
6. Are there specific actions or proposals by the current Rural Healthcare District Board with which you either agree or disagree? 26:40
7. Should you be elected, consider the end of your term, what do you hope will have been accomplished during your time? 31:18
Rebuttals or Specific Additional Comment 35:05
Closing Statements 40:45
Public Questions 53:15
- What would you do to attract and retain EMTs?
- How many EMTs are on call, how is the service staffed?
Dave Harness, Board member Marie Miller
Cemetery District Board
There are 5 candidates running for 4 seats. They will join John Ehlers and John Hansen on the Board.
The candidates are Sheila Camino, Luke Goddard, Elizabeth (Liz) Graves, Barbara Mueller and John Zorbas. Barbara Mueller is running unopposed for the 2 year term created as a result of a former board member's resignation.
We welcome Luke Goddard, Elizabeth (Liz) Graves, and Barbara Mueller
Sheila Camino is out of town. John Zorbas did not reply to the invitation to participate in this forum.
1. What previous qualifications or experience do you have that would benefit this position? 3:00
2. Do you have a specific reason for running at this time? 7:30
3. What is your opinion on the $400 fee recently implemented for Saturday burials in Buffalo and Kaycee? 11:30
4. What specific actions or proposals by the current Cemetery District Board do you either agree or disagree with? 11:40
5. Consider the end of your term in office. What do you hope will have been accomplished during your time? 20:50
Rebuttals or Specific Additional Comment 25:00
Closing Statements 23:35
- Steve Gunsolley, former board member remarks 29:55
- Use and purpose of various buildings incl.sexton’s house/office 32:05
JCSD1 School Board
There are 5 candidates running for 4 seats. They will join Randy Brown, Lynette Fox, Jan Johnson, Kristen LeDoux and Jodi Verplancke.
The candidates are Anita Bartlett, Dave Belus, Marcia Goddard, Travis Pearson, Paul Rickett and Casey Rodriguez.
Paul Rickett is out of town and unable to join. Kesa Knudsvig-Andrews withdrew earlier this week.
1. What previous qualifications or experience do you have that would benefit this position? 2:45
2. Do you have a specific reason for running at this time? 9:30
3. A school board is responsible for seeing that the schools are well run but does not run them. How would you accomplish that? 12:35
4. Schools are expected to deliver much more than classroom education. What would be your focus and priorities? 17:30
5. Tough economic times require tough decisions. What do you consider are the `essential elements of a strong local education system? 22:10
6. What will you do to ensure the school board positively impacts student achievement? 26:30
7. Are there specific actions or proposals by the current school board with which you either agree or disagree? 30:25
8. Consider the end of your term in office. What do you hope will have been accomplished during your time? 35:00
Rebuttals or Specific Additional Comment 38:35
Closing Statements 40:15
Public Questions 43:10
- What about Critical Race Theory (incl. comment by Supt. Charles Auzqui)
- How would you tackle parent-teacher disagreement 46:30
- Candidates opinions on which activities/extra curricular activities could be cut 49:15
- Cutting teacher salaries 52:15
- Making school board business more transparent 53:50